Monday, October 27, 2008

OF COURSE!!!!

Pastor Roger often cites C.S. Lewis' insight that although we can't begin to imagine what heaven will be like, when we get there we will have an overwhelming sense of. "OF COURSE!" Of course this is how it would be. Of course.

It is much the same with grandpparenthood. When Bethany became pregnant with Luke, only one of my friends had become a grandmother and she was a little over the top with pictures and stoires and all that goes along with being a grandmother, and I just didn't get it. I wasn't looking forward to being a grandmother. I didn't have any particular feeling one way or another about the baby my daughter was carrying. I was 47 years old and, in my mind, not nearly old enough to have a grandchild.

Bethany didn't want a family contingent at the hospital while she labored so I didn't see the baby until he was three hours old (Bethany wanted to have her make-up on before visitors arrived). But I have to confess, the moment I walked into that hospital room and saw that precious baby boy it was, "OF COURSE!" It was love at first sight. It was like joining a club that no one could tell you how cool it was before you joined. To understand it, you had to expereince it.

When Eliza got pregnant, I was happy for her, but not particularly attached to the baby in utero. And this time I wasn't disturbed by it because I knew that's how I roll. I also knew that when Micah was born I would again have the same overwhelming love a Grammie has for her grandkids that you just can't explain, quantify or understand until you get there. And I did!

1 comment:

Mama2 said...

My, my, grandparenting is everything I've ever heard. Isn't it the best? I consider it a time to makeup for every horrible thing I've ever said to my own kids.