Thursday, March 27, 2008

WHAT "HOW ARE YOU?" REALLY MEANS

I remember one of my pastors, twice removed (OK, he was never actually removed at all, but he left twice for greener pastures, which, theoretically is where pastors should be, right?), anyway a few years back he said, "How are you" really means, "I see you." And I realized he was right because most people don't stick around for the answer.

Still, I feel like I have to GIVE an answer. So not given to hyperbole, I usually just say "Well enough." The responses to that are usually confusion or disapproval. Not wanting to be the subject of disapproval (roll your eyes here, people) I decided to try on a few more palatable responses. One gal in choir had shared her commitment to answering "how are you," with "I'm blessed." So I put on my best breathy voice (think Marilyn Monroe... vocally, not physically!) and gave it shot. The comment missed it's mark by a mile! I simply couldn't sell it and wound up laughing at my feeble attempt.

Another gal in choir often answers the query with, "I'm wonderful, but I'm getting better." It works for her in the same way the sweet and airy, "I'm blessed" works for the woman who has adopted that, but neither one was a good fit for me. Not that I'm a pessimist, unless you count my "the glass is half full with a crack in it; the well is runnin' dry and they're callin' for a drought" outlook as pessimistic, I just figure neither I nor the circumstances in my life will achieve perfection until I leave this imperfect world. So, "Well enough" works. And that's good enough for me.

No comments: