Thursday, April 17, 2008

WHITE BREAD, 12 GRAIN, OR PUMPERNICKEL

When Eliza was in high school she lamented that everyone seemed to love a certain friend of hers and she didn't understand why she wasn't as popular or as universally loved as this girl. I had heard murmurings about this, but one day she actually asked me what I thought. So I came up with a metaphor.

I said that her friend was like white bread. Everybody likes white bread. There's nothing offensive about white bread, so what's not to like? I told her she was more like 12 grain bread, which had a lot more to offer in that there is texture and flavor that white bread lacks. Not everybody likes 12 grain but it definitely has more substance. Eliza thought about it for a moment and asked, "Then what kind of bread are you?" Without skipping a beat I answered, "Pumpernickel" and went on to explain that most people tend to either enjoy pumpernickel or they loathe it. Perhaps they are uncertain about it at first exposure but it maybe it grows on them time goes by.

I trust you're in the first category or you would have given up reading this by now. I want you to know I appreciate your investment in me.

3 comments:

Eliza said...

Yes, I still remember that gem of wisdom! I even still use it sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I like the metaphor. I don't care for white, myself. 12 grain is much more complex and interesting, but pumpernickel is worth the risk of trying.

karberator said...

I love pumpernickel!