"Meerkat Manor" fascinates me! These little rodents, native to the Kalahari Desert, have a social structure that is almost identical to that of human organizations. I have found it to be particularly so in the case of the online forum I joined earlier this month.
Now, I wish I could tell you the forum is one dealing with weighty political or theological issues, or, for that matter, issues of weight control. But alas, the forum I joined is for grown up women (which is particularly ironic given my aversion to large groups of women. But no, you won't be seeing me at any of those women's ministry gatherings) who became addicted to playing Webkinz when they first stared playing with their children or grandchildren.
Yup, I'm addicted. So is my mother. And although Eliza isn't addicted, she plays every chance she gets. In the beginning Brian thought it was merely a fun way for me to have a common interest with Luke. As I got more and more into it he figured it was cheaper than my Chico's obsession. And so did I. It became clear we were both wrong on that count when I donated 93 of my own brand new Webkinz to the Joy of Giving at Christmas, and I have bought that many for Luke as well. All that is sort of beside the point, though.
So I joined this forum and I quickly discovered who the dominant females were (there is always a dominant female in Meerkat clans). And they are not going to allow anyone to threaten their top dog status. I found that out when I proudly announced I was going to attempt to become top poster one day. Ya know, that did not go over so well. I sensed many of the Meerkats were suspicious of strangers (Meerkats fiercely defend their territory and will not tolerate rovers). They didn't know me and I'm not sure they all wanted to know me. But I hung in there; kept posting. I have discerned who the peacemakers and submissives are. They seem to be getting used to me.
The fact is, I have it figured out now. Just like you have to get the lay of the land in a new school, a new job, a new church or club, the newcomer has to carve out a niche, figure out who she can trust, make friends. I am doing that. And it's pretty cool thanks to the Meerkats!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh Marcia Marcia Marcia! How true this is!! I don't want to be the alpha female but I'll just hang back and enjoy the show!
Dude--what happened? Did Facebook take over? Not that I could ever keep up with a blog or anything. :)
Post a Comment